Tuesday 24 July 2012

Soup Files No. 2

Dear foodie friends,

I have been a bit amiss from my blog writing duties as I have been way too busy consuming food on my honeymoon. My blogs of the future and expanded waistline will surely prove that I have broadened my food loving horizons.

But for now, I hope you are all coping with the rainy Australian winter. Here is the recipe for my Dad's amazing French Onion soup which I grew up eating regularly. It’s great for week night dinners or as an entree to a winter dinner soirĂ©e. Serve with white wine!

Ingredients
2kg brown onions, peeled and finely sliced
40g butter
4 cloves garlic
½ cup of pernod or brandy
1 litre of vegetable stock
1 cup water
2-3 tbls worstershire sauce
pink salt flakes and white pepper
4 thick slices of Italian baguette (preferable round buns)
200g gruyere cheese, sliced
parmesan cheese, freshly grated




Method
Melt butter in a large heavy based saucepan over low-medium heat, add onion and garlic and cook slowly for 30 minutes until soft and browned. Add pernod and cook for a further minute, then add stock, water, worstershire sauce, salt and pepper. Cook for further 30 minutes, by simmering gently.
Toast baguette, then grill the gruyere cheese on top, while the cheese is grilling serve the soup into 4 bowls and top with the bread, sprinkle with parmesan.



1 comment: